Health & Welfare Plans Newsletter
January 10, 2022
Text of Agency FAQs, Part 51: FFCRA and CARES Act Implementation, COVID-19 Diagnostic Testing and Coverage of Preventive Services (PDF)
- Under section 6001 of the [Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)], are plans and issuers required to cover OTC COVID-19 tests available without an order or individualized clinical assessment by a health care provider?
- Q2 If a plan or issuer provides direct coverage of OTC COVID-19 tests, may it limit coverage to only tests that are provided through preferred pharmacies or other retailers?
- If a plan or issuer otherwise provides coverage without cost sharing for COVID-19 diagnostic tests, may a plan or issuer set limits on the number or frequency of OTC COVID-19 tests
covered without cost sharing under a plan or coverage?
A3 Yes, but only if the plan or issuer meets the conditions for the safe harbor described in this Q3....
- When providing coverage of OTC COVID-19 tests, are plans and issuers permitted to address suspected fraud and abuse?
- How can plans and issuers facilitate access to, effective use of,
and prompt payment for OTC COVID-19 tests?...
- When must plans and issuers begin providing coverage without cost-sharing, prior authorization, or other medical management requirements for OTC COVID-19 tests available without an order or individualized clinical assessment by a health care provider?
A6 Plans and issuers must provide coverage without cost-sharing requirements, prior authorization, or other
medical management requirements ... with respect to OTC COVID-19 tests available without an order or individualized clinical assessment by a health care provider purchased on or after January 15, 2022, and during the public health emergency....
- Are plans and issuers required to cover, without the imposition of any cost sharing, a follow-up colonoscopy conducted after a positive non-invasive stool-based screening test or direct
visualization test (e.g., sigmoidoscopy, CT colonography)?
- When must plans and issuers begin providing coverage without cost sharing for a follow-up colonoscopy after a positive non-invasive stool-based screening test or direct visualization test based on the new USPSTF recommendation? ...
A8 [P]lans and issuers must provide coverage without cost sharing for plan
or policy years beginning on or after May 31, 2022....
- What is expected of non-exempt plans and issuers regarding compliance with the requirement to cover contraceptive services under PHS Act section 2713?"
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services [HHS]; U.S. Department of Labor [DOL]; and U.S. Treasury Department
Change Email Address
Search Past Issues |
Submit an Article |
Contact Us |
Copyright 2021 BenefitsLink.com, Inc. All materials contained in this newsletter are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of BenefitsLink.com, Inc., or in the case of third party materials, the owner of those materials. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notices from copies of the content.
BenefitsLink Retirement Plans Newsletter, ISSN no. 1536-9587.
Links to web sites other than BenefitsLink.com and EmployeeBenefitsJobs.com are offered as a service to our readers. We are not involved in their production and are not responsible for their content.