Say Goodbye to ERPA (eventually, I guess)

austin3515

I hear a Tom Poje song in there somewhere Austin...

(to the tune of You Are My Sunshine)

"....please don't take my ER PA away."

Seriously though - other than the reasons given in the first FAQ does anyone see an ulterior motive(s) for this move?

Such as what? I just think they are going to phase this out. That's too bad because ERPA's were a good substitute for ERISA attorneys for loan failures for example. It is profitable work for me and saved the client a lot of money.

I just think if it is too much work to provide the test the following is going to happen very soon:

Vendors will stop going to all the trouble of being approved as an ERPA trainer

The IRS is going to decide it is no longer efficient to track CPE the way that it does.

And that will be that.

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

I don't see sinister motives, just simple: Save some budget $$.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

If you read my parenthetical and my comments, I am only assuming that it will eventually be phased out altogether. Certainly in 50 years when all the current ERPA's are retired (hopefully!) there will be no need for the designation. I simply assume it will be deleted before then.

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

• 3 weeks later...

This is a consequence of the continuing 3% reduction of the IRS budget every FY by the House b/c of the Lois lerner mess. IRS has reduced telephone taxpayer assistance services during tax filing season and no longer will prepare tax returns at IRS offices. Tax audits have declined to point were only .8% of taxpayers with income under $200k are audited. I also have a vague recollection that IRS was planning to stop issuing determination letters.

mjb

Austin, I think you missed the sarcasm in mbozek's post.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

It will be interesting to see if there is a big increase in the number of people seeking an ERPA designation with the last test cycle in the beginning of next year. It is a benefit, especially for a smaller firm, to have an ERPA on staff.

If they are going to do away with my ERPA designation at some point then they should rescind the rule that a non-credentialed practicioner cannot sign a 2848, or they should make exceptions for other industry groups' designations.