Jump to content

403(b) Distributions

Recommended Posts

If an employee changes classification from regular FT to per diem status and is under age 59 1/2, does this initiate a qualified distribution whereby the participant would be eligible to distribute money from the vested portion of an employer contribution source?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It might be a 'severance from employment' (ceasing to be an employee of the plan-sponsoring employer). Is this a full-time teacher paid a salary that is now going to go into the 'substitutes' pool, and only called up for a day (and paid a per diem) when needed? If so, then employment has likely ended. On the other hand, if the change is to give the employee a greater flexibility in scheduling (working most, but not all), then employment might not have severed. See Treas Reg 1.403(b)-2(b)(19), 1.401(k)-1(d), and 1.403(b)-6(h).

John Simmons


Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...