Jump to content

Form 1094-C Correction

Recommended Posts

Has anyone dealt with filing corrections for entities that filed Form 1095-Cs under the wrong entity? For example, entities A and B are part of the same controlled group. B pays this group of employees (and provides their Form W-2s), but their Form 1095-Cs were filed under entity A. This means that entity B has filed Form W-2s but no corresponding 1094-Cs or 1095-Cs, which is likely to trigger a letter from the IRS. 

Is there a way to correct this before the IRS sends the penalty letter? I read the Publication 5165 correction rules to say no - you need an original record to correct. In this case, there's no original record to correct. 

Anyone have experience with this? TIA!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like you would not be filing "corrected" forms but instead would be filing "correct" forms late which will only serve to totally confuse the IRS 1094-C/1095-C processing systems.

Best to wait for the inquiry from IRS and be ready to promptly respond with the "correct" forms and highly likely IRS will abate any non-filing or late filing penalties.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...