Violation of Successor Plan Rules

Company A merges with Company B.  Company A and Company B have 401(k) plans.  Company B terminates their 401(k) plan.  There are 5 employees total in company B, 2 of the 5 employees transfer into Company A's 401(k) plan but 3 of the employees take a cash distribution.  There is also a parent company, and they want to be conservative and file VCP for the failure.  How would you present this for correction under VCP?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Base don what you've provided, it is unclear as to the sequence of events.  Did A & B merge, then B terminated the plan?  Or did B terminate the plan, and then merge with A?

It makes a difference....

However, building on MoJo's points, if the plans merged, there is no more Company B 401(k) Plan which could terminate post-merger and there is no violation of the successor plan rule. Therefore, there would be no need to do a VCP filing. So the crux of our points is: what merged and when, the companies, the plans, etc?

Let's see if I can clarify, Company A acquires Company B in August 2022.  Company B terminated the plan as of October 31, 2022.  Both companies were part of a controlled group with the Parent Company C.  Company A became a controlled group on September 1, 2021 and Company B became a controlled group on July 8, 2022.  All 3 companies have their own separate plans at the time of the acquisition.  I appreciate the help, this is not something you run into everyday!

I agree with directing the client to approach qualified ERISA counsel to prepare the VCP filing. I'm thinking the VCP filing might focus on putting the participants/former participants in the place they would have been if B's 401(k) had merged into A's 401(k). Most difficulty likely to be with 3 participants who took distributions based on the impermissible termination of B's 401(k). Just some off the cuff thinking here. Hope you find good help.