QDRO - domesticating a Canadian divorce for purposes of executing a QDRO

Hello - my ex-wife and I are both American, but live in Canada (Ontario) as permanent residents.  We were divorced last year and, in our separation agreement, agreed to split my pension.  As I understand it, we now need to domesticate our divorce in the US, and then file the QDRO, referencing that domesticated decree.  I'm looking for a lawyer in the US that is familiar and experienced in domesticating an Ontario divorce.  It should be as simple as domesticating an Ontario divorce order that contains the language re the pension split, and filing the QDRO, for which my former employer provides a nice, simple template. The problem is, we don't live in the US, presently.  Would welcome any advice or referrals.  Thanks!

Sorry, no expert.  You might consider looking for a domestic relations attorney in a city near the border, such as Buffalo, Toronto, Detroit, Windsor, etc.  Attorney website might have information related to your specific need.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 3:08 PM, david rigby said:

Sorry, no expert.  You might consider looking for an domestics relations attorney in a city near the border, such as Buffalo, Toronto, Detroit, Windsor, etc.  Website might have information related to your specific need.

Totally agree. canadianlink, this is not a pension issue but a transnational domestic relations law issue.

Luke Bailey

Senior Counsel

Clark Hill PLC

214-651-4572 (O) | LBailey@clarkhill.com

2600 Dallas Parkway Suite 600

Frisco, TX 75034

• 2 years later...