5500 electronic signature when service provide e-signs.

Tom

Almost all of our clients hand sign the 5500 and a signing authorization.  Over the early years of EFAST, clients just stopped wanting use/recover their PINs.  One client just now did an electronic signature on the 5500 copy that we will attach to the filing before I e-sign.    I'm sure ths has been discussed many times but appreciate comments on this.  There is still time to get a hand signature but not much time.

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/EBSA/about-ebsa/our-activities/resource-center/faqs/efast2-form-5500-processing.pdf

Q33a: I am a service provider that assists clients in managing the filing process. Can I electronically sign the annual return/report for my client?

Yes, if the plan administrator has authorized you to submit electronically the Form 5500/5500- SF/5500-EZ for the plan.

Under the e-signature option, service providers that manage the filing process for plans or Direct Filing Entities (DFEs) can get their own EFAST2 signing credentials and submit the electronic Form 5500 for a plan or DFE, or Form 5500, Form 5500-SF or Form 5500-EZ for a plan. The service provider must have specific written authorization from the plan administrator, employer/plan sponsor, or DFE to submit the filing. In addition, the plan administrator, employer/plan sponsor, or person authorized to sign on behalf of the DFE, including the “jurat,” must manually sign a paper copy of the applicable completed form, and the service provider must attach a PDF copy of the manually signed form (without schedules or attachments) to the electronic filing submitted to EFAST2.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co